Re: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdXas device

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 17:59:44 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:42:21 +0100, "Kiniger, Karl (GE Healthcare)" said:

Have you tested the ISO on some *OTHER* hardware? The impression I got
was that the cd was *burned* right by ide-cd, but when *read back*, it
bollixed things up at the end of the CD.....

Using ide-scsi is enough to get all the data till the real end of the CD.

OK, so the problem is that ide-cd is able to *burn* the CD just fine, but it
suffers lossage when ide-cd tries to read it back...

Alan - are the sense-byte patches for ide-cd in a shape to push either upstream
or to -mm?

The last time I looked at this, the issue was that the user software did a large read and the ide-cd didn't properly return a small data block with no error, but rather returned an error with no data. If you get the size of the ISO image, you can read that with any program which doesn't try to read MORE than that.

I don't consider this correct behaviour, but at least I know how to get by it for iso-9660 CDs. For other formats which don't allow determination of data set size except by the contents of the data, this works poorly.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)