Re: [ACPI] Call for help: list of machines with working S3

From: Len Brown
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 01:21:10 EST

Pavel,
I think that it is the BIOS' job on S3-suspend
to save the video mode. On S3-resume the BIOS should
re-POST and restore the video mode.

While Linux's X drivers may be able to handle the case
where X is running -- that doesn't help us with the
cases where X is not running (a case that Windows
presumably does not have).

Besides updated X drivers, which may have complicated
restore routines for complicated modes, all the other
techniques for restoring video from Linux are
hit/miss workarounds for broken platforms.

To completely solve the Linux S3 video restore issue,
we need to push the platform and BIOS vendors.

What am I missing?

thanks,
-Len