Re: Possible bug in keyboard.c (2.6.10)

From: Al Viro
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 23:52:40 EST

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:59:37AM +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> I'm very sorry about the locking, but the thing grew up in times of
> kernel 2.0, which didn't require any locking. There are a few possible

Incorrect. You have blocking allocations in critical areas and they
required locking all way back.

> races with device registration/unregistration, and it's on my list to
> fix that, however under normal operation there shouldn't be any need for
> locks, as there are no complex structures built that'd become
> inconsistent.

Um-hm... Vojtech, meet USB mouse; USB mouse, meet Vojtech. Now watch
a disconnect and reconnect happening when luser suddenly gets overexcited
and jerks the wrong hand a bit too hard while browsing the most profitable
sort of website...

> If you find scenarios which will lead to trouble in the event delivery
> system, please tell me, and I'll try to fix that as soon as possible.

See above. Devices appearing and disappearing *are* normal.