Re: Fwd: Patch to control VGA bus routing and active VGA device.

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 13:51:58 EST

On Friday, January 28, 2005 9:32 am, Grant Grundler wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:28:43AM -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > But then again,
> > I suppose if a platform supports more than one legacy I/O space,
>
> Eh?! there can only be *one* legacy I/O space.
> We can support multipl IO port spaces, but only one can be the "legacy".

What do you mean? If you define legacy I/O space to be
0x0000000000000000-0x000000000000ffff, then yes of course you're right. But
if you mean being able to access legacy ports at all, then no. On SGI
machines, there's a per-bus base address that can be used as the base for
port I/O, which is what I was getting at.

> Moving the VGA device can only function within that legacy space
> the way the code is written now (using hard coded addresses).
> If it is intended to work with multiple IO Port address spaces,
> then it needs to use the pci_dev->resource[] and mangle that appropriately.

There is no resource for some of the I/O port space that cards respond to. I
can set the I/O BAR of my VGA card to 0x400 and it'll still respond to
accesses at 0x3bc for example. That's what I mean by legacy space--space
that cards respond to but don't report in their PCI resources.

Jesse