Re: Touchpad problems with 2.6.11-rc2

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 16:40:00 EST

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:55:20 -0800, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoth Pete Zaitcev:
> > ALPS Touchpad (Dualpoint) detected
> > Disabling hardware tapping
> > input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
>
> I have problems with an ALPS on serio4 ... different ones though. And
> it may be that RC2 is a bit better here than previous kernels.
>
> For example, it says it disabled tapping -- but it's still active.
> Evidently there are model-specific differences that the ALPS driver
> doesn't handle correctly.

Note that it says "Disabling hardware tapping". mousedev module still
does software tap emulation which can be turned off with
mousedev.tap_time = 0

> > Looks like detection is correct, however either ALPS specific code doesn't work
> > right, or it sets wrong parameters, I cannot tell. Here's the list of problems,
> > from worst to least annoying:
> >
> > - Very often, keyboard stops working after a click. Typing anything has no effect.

I am not quite sure about the keyboard iteractions but all-in-all I
don't think ALPS support is really ready for prime-time yet, there
some issues with tap and double-tap detection. I think Peter has some
patches improving it though, but for now I recommend
psmouse.proto=imps.

> The more serious one is that sometimes it seems to spontaneously emit click
> events while I'm moving finger across pad. Which means I've had to learn to
> plan my "mouse" motions to avoid areas where clicking could have bad effects.
> But that's not always possible ...

That is default sensitivity not suiting your habits I think. I would
recomment trying out Synaptics X driver (which also does ALPS) so you
will be able adjust sensitivity the way you like it.

--
Dmitry