Re: [ckrm-tech] RE: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] plugsched-2.0 patches ...

From: Shailabh Nagar
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 10:18:34 EST

Marc E. Fiuczynski wrote:
Hi Peter,

I'm hoping that the CKRM folks will send me a patch to add their
scheduler to plugsched :-)

They are planning to release a patch against 2.6.10. But their patch wont
stand alone against 2.6.10 and so it might be difficult for you to integrate
their code into a scheduler for plugsched.

Thats true. The current CKRM CPU scheduler is not a standalone component...if it were made one, it would need a non-CKRM interface to define classes, set their shares etc.

However, we have not investigated the possibility of making our CPU scheduler a pluggable one that could be loaded into a kernel equipped with the plugsched patches AND the CKRM framework. This should be possible but not a high priority until there is more consensus for having CPU schedulers pluggable at all (we have more basic stuff to fix in our scheduler such as load balancing).

Of course, we're more than happpy to work with someone willing to chip in and make our scheduler pluggable.

-- Shailabh

Also, the CKRM scheduler only modifies Ingo's O(1) scheduler. It certainly
would be interesting to have CKRM variants of the other schedulers. This
points to a whole new level of 'plugsched' in that general O(1) schedulers
need to support fair share plugins.

Marc