Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 17:28:33 EST

With no disrespect, I don't believe you have ever been a full-time employee system administrator for any commercial or government organization, and I don't believe you have any experience trying to do security when change must be reviewed by technically naive management to justify cost, time, and policy implications. The people on the list who disagree may view the security information issue in a very different context.

Linus Torvalds wrote:

What vendor-sec does is to make it "socially acceptable" to be a parasite.

I personally think that such behaviour simply should not be encouraged. If
you have a security "researcher" that has some reason to delay his
disclosure, you should see for for what he is: looking for cheap PR. You
shouldn't make excuses for it. Any research organization that sees PR as a
primary objective is just misguided.

There are damn fine reasons for not having immediate public disclosure, it allows vandors and administrators to close the hole before the script kiddies get a hold of it. And they are the real problem, because there are so MANY of them, and they tend to do slash and burn stuff, wipe out your files, steal your identity, and other things you have to notice. They aren't smart enough to find holes themselves in most cases, they are too lazy in many cases to read the high-level hacker boards, and a few weeks of delay in many cases lets the careful avoid damage.

Security through obscurity doesn't work, but a small delay for a fix to be developed can prevent a lot of problems. And of course the information should be released, it encourages the creation and installation of fixes.

Oh, and many of the problem reports result in "cheap PR" consisting of a single line mention in a CERT report or similar. Most people are not doing it for the glory.

What's the alternative? I'd like to foster a culture of

(a) accepting that bugs happen, and that they aren't news, but making sure that the very openness of the process means that people know
what's going on exactly because it is _open_, not because some news organization had to make a big stink about it just to make a vendor
take notice.

Linux vendors aside, many vendors react in direct proportion to the bad publicity engendered. I'd like the world to work that way, but in many places it doesn't.

Right now, people seem to think that big news media warnings on cnet.com about SP2 fixing 15 vulnerabilities or similar is the proper
way to get people to upgrade. That just -cannot- be right.

Unfortunately reality doesn't agree with you. Many organizations have no other effective way to convince management of the need for a fix except newspaper articles and magazine articles. A sometimes that has to get to the horror story stage before action is possible.

And let's not kid ourselves: the security firms may have resources that they put into it, but the worst-case schenario is actual criminal intent. People who really have resources to study security problems, and who have _no_ advantage of using vendor-sec at all. And in that case, vendor-sec is _REALLY_ a huge mistake.

I think you are still missing the point, I don't care if a security firm reads mailing lists or tea leaves, does research or just knows where to find it, they are paid to do it and if they do it well and report the problems which apply to me and the source of the fixes they keep me from missing something and at the same time save me time. Even reading only good mailing lists and newsgroups it takes a lot of time to keep current, and you see a lot of stuff you don't need.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)