Re: [fuse-devel] Merging?

From: Luca Ferroni
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 17:26:43 EST

Il Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:01:09 -0800, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

> Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Well, there doesn't seem to be a great rush to include FUSE in the
> > kernel. Maybe they just don't realize what they are missing out on ;)
>
> heh. What userspace filesystems have thus-far been developed, and what are
> people using them for?

For my master laurea thesis I developed PackageFS that aims to
transparently manage packages in several distros.
There are also many other facilities:
- View a directory-based tree of packages (with the files that each package owns)
which can be nested by category, or by priority

In the future
- you will be able to add users to "packages" group to make them able
to manage packages
- you can mount the file system on a cluster to transparently manage
several hosts

You can find my thesis at http://packagefs.sourceforge.net

I think FUSE is a very good idea (as good as the actual implementation is),
IMHO it should be inserted in the mainline kernel.
Thanks to Miklos and other developers.

Luca
--
Non ci toglieranno mai....la LIBERTA'!!!
Luca Ferroni