Re: aacraid fails when RAID1 array is in anything but Optimal state

From: Paul A. Sumner
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 16:19:50 EST

You might try the new aacraid module: 1.1.5[2371] from Adaptec's site. I had some newer firmware that combined w/ the stock 1.1.2-lk2... got the exact 'SCSI hang ?' msg... w/ the new module no such problems. 2.6.9 is stable for me except it seems I don't have the write performance I should yet (see my last post).

Hope this helps.

Aaron Gowatch wrote:
We're using Dell PowerEdge 750s with a Dell rebranded Adaptec CERC 1.5/6ch SATA adapter. The systems have 2 disks configured as RAID1. If the array is in any other state than 'Optimal' (ie. 'Degraded' or 'Rebuilding') the following error is displayed and the box subsequently panics because its unable to mount the root filesystem.

We've had the same experience with 2.6.7 and 2.6.9. Yesterday as a test, I installed RedHat ES 3.0 and it does not exhibit this behavior, but thats kernel 2.4 with different aacraid driver. We've also updated to the latest recommended firmware in attempt to correct this.

Is there any way to make this work with kernel 2.6? Or is this expected behavior for this controller under 2.6?

Red Hat/Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1.2-lk2 Jan 14 2005)
AAC0: kernel 4.1.4 build 7403
AAC0: monitor 4.1.4 build 7403
AAC0: bios 4.1.0 build 7403
AAC0: serial bf91c8fafaf001
scsi0 : aacraid
Vendor: DELL Model: CERC Mirror Rev: V1.0
sda: Write Protect is off
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write through
sda:<3>aacraid: Host adapter reset request. SCSI hang ?
aacraid: Host adapter appears dead
scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x6000000
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
scsi0 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
unable to read partition table
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Thanks,
Aa.