Re: short read from /dev/urandom

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 16:17:22 EST

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
What do you think? Does gcc -pg calls sigaction with SA_RESTART, to
avoid changing the behaviour of the programs that it is profiling?

Profiling certainly uses SA_RESTART. But this was just one possible problem case.

I'm concerned that there is isgnificant code out there relying on the no-short-read promise. And perhaps more importantly, other implementations promise the same.

The code in question comes from a crypto library which is in wide use (http://www.cryptopp.com) and it is using urandom under this assumption. I fear there is quite a bit more code like this out there. Changing the ABI after the fact is no good and dangerous in this case.

I know this is making the device special, but I really think the no-short-reads property should be perserved for urandom.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â