Re: VST patches ported to 2.6.11-rc1

From: George Anzinger
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 20:29:39 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

I really hate sf download system... Here are those patches (only
common+i386) ported to 2.6.11-rc1.

Good news is it booted. But I could not measure any powersavings by
turning it on. (I could measure difference between HZ=100 and
HZ=1000).

Hmm, it does not want to do anything. threshold used to be 1000, does
it mean that it would not use vst unless there was one second of quiet
state? I tried to lower it to 10 ("get me HZ=100 power consumption")
but it does not seem to be used, anyway:

root@amd:/proc/sys/kernel/vst# cat successful_vst_exit
0
root@amd:/proc/sys/kernel/vst# cat external_intr_exit
0
root@amd:/proc/sys/kernel/vst#

Hm.. and this after you lowered the threshold? The skipped interrupts should also be of interest...

+config HIGH_RES_RESOLUTION
+ int "High Resolution Timer resolution (nanoseconds)"
+ depends on HIGH_RES_TIMERS
+ default 1000
+ help
+ This sets the resolution in nanoseconds of the CLOCK_REALTIME_HR and
+ CLOCK_MONOTONIC_HR timers. Too fine a resolution (small a number)
+ will usually not be observable due to normal system latencies. For an
+ 800 MHz processor about 10,000 (10 microseconds) is recommended as a
+ finest resolution. If you don't need that sort of resolution,
+ larger values may generate less overhead.

Ugh, if minimum recomended value is 10K, why does it have 1K as a
default?

I think I have this wrong. I usually set it to 10 for my testing. I need to look over the conversion code and such to see just what the units are...

+ The system boots with VST enabled and it can be disabled by:
+ "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/vst/enable".

It definitely booted with vst disabled here... echo 1 did the trick
through.

I missed that. Yes we want to boot with it disabled. It can upset some of the boot up code otherwise.

short_timer_fns This is an array of 5 entries of the form
0xc110ea80 when the timer expires.
Both of these arrays are kept as circular lists and read back such
that
the latest entry is presented to the reader first. The entries are
cleared when read.

...it is bad idea to have them world-readable, then.

This is diagnostic code for the kernel dude who wants to know why he is not getting the VST sleeps he wants. Seems a bit harsh to make him be root to see it....

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx