Re: make flock_lock_file_wait static

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 14:39:41 EST

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 14:16 -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > (you may think "it's only 100 bytes", well, there are 700+ other such
> > functions, total that makes over at least 70Kb of unswappable, wasted
> > memory if not more.)
>
> A list of these 700+ unused exported APIs would be very useful so that
> we can deprecate and/or get rid of them.

http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/unused

has the list of symbols that are unused on an i386 allmodconfig based on
the -bk tree 2 days ago.

> Concerning this case, though, and to make what I said in the earlier
> mails (a lot) more explicit.
>
> If you unexport flock_lock_file_wait(), then you might as well back out
> the entire bloody ->flock() changeset instead because keeping the
> ->flock() VFS override support without the functionality to make
> implementation practical (which is what you appear to want to do) is a
> waste of more than 70 bytes of memory.
>
> Now please go and figure out what it is you actually want to do here.

save space most of all, and reduce bloat that is not used.
Again if you're going to use it soon, fine. If not, as you say, the
entire thing should probably go because it's a bunch of unused code,
additions to data structures and conditional branches.