Re: Flaw in ide_unregister()

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 21:50:37 EST

Alan Cox:
Currently there are four things in the -ac tree that use this feature

1. ISA PnP, where we don't support hotplug (and anyway the only maker of
consumer hotpluggable ISA docking stations I know of - IBM - wont
provide docs on them)
2. ide-cs
3. delkin (cardbus IDE)
4. PCI layer

Of those the PCI one is a common shared function so I put the supporting
logic in the IDE PCI helper function, The others need different handling
at the PCMCIA or Cardbus level in order to free up resources and clean
up.

PCI seems to use __ide_unregister_hwif() directly. Case 2 and 3 seem to need the "retry until the device is unregistered" behaviour and case 1 seems to be compatible with that.

That suggests ide_unregister_hwif() could call itself back via a work queue until the device unregisters successfully. Anything that doesn't want this behaviour can use __ide_unregister_hwif() directly as PCI does?

Richard