Re: Flaw in ide_unregister()

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 15:39:58 EST

On Llu, 2005-01-10 at 12:39, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Offloading this responsibility onto each and every driver seems rather
> rather unwise and will result in a lot of code duplication. Are there any
> circumstances where we need ide_unregister to abort on busy? Even if there
> are would a flag to indicate what it should do with a busy drive be better?

Currently there are four things in the -ac tree that use this feature

1. ISA PnP, where we don't support hotplug (and anyway the only maker of
consumer hotpluggable ISA docking stations I know of - IBM - wont
provide docs on them)
2. ide-cs
3. delkin (cardbus IDE)
4. PCI layer

Of those the PCI one is a common shared function so I put the supporting
logic in the IDE PCI helper function, The others need different handling
at the PCMCIA or Cardbus level in order to free up resources and clean
up.