Re: raid1 oops in 2.6.9 (debian package 2.6.9-1-686-smp)

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 05:09:09 EST

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:28:41PM +0000, Robert Murray wrote:
> Hi
>
> The complete console log can be found at http://haylott.plus.com/~robbie/md-oops.txt
>
> hde is a failed drive. In this log, hdg (the other drive in the raid1
> array) is not present. This oops also occurs when hdg is present. I
> don't know why it tries to use hde when it has been failed for some
> time now. This doesn't occur with 2.6.8 (also a debian kernel). I
> don't have a log of the oops when hdg was present, but I can provide
> one if necessary.
>
> Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to
> help to debug this. For now I have removed hde and everything is
> working fine.

On a second note: Could someone please provide an explanation of why
the raid10 driver exists? People have created RAID-10 sets for years
using the RAID-0 driver on top of several RAID-1 arrays - this works
beautifully, it's simple, and it's easy to explain to people.

Why oh why, do we need raid10 ?

(I don't mean to bitch and moan over it - I just assume that there is a
good reason for it which was somehow never conveyed, or that I
overlooked in my search for this explanation)

And; if raid10 does not provide new functionality that was not possible
with raid1 + raid0, why oh why does this get accepted in a stable kernel
series? (ok, 2.6 is not stable, but I assume the intention is to make
it stable eventually, and accepting new functionality does not help this
process - all in all I do not understand the raid10 submission at all,
but I hope to be enlightened by someone (Neil?))

Also, I'd love to add a mention of raid10 in the HOWTO, but I need to
know why raid10 even exists before I can reasonably do that.

--

/ jakob "baffled Software-RAID HOWTO co-author"