Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 05:04:22 EST

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 10:57 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > I'd be interested to hear your take on this. Should we try to make
> > our atomics easy and safe for userspace to use (including putting them
> > under the LGPL)? Or can you see a better solution?
>
> it's not the kernel's job to provide this functionality imo.

Sometimes the functionality would have to be entirely reimplemented to
make it viable for userspace. For FR-V we set aside a condition register
for use in the kernel, so we can emulate ll/sc with multiple-issue
instructions. That can never work in userspace.

We can't just pretend there isn't a problem here.

--
dwmw2