Re: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 18:11:12 EST

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 03:13:12PM +0000, David Howells wrote:
> (2) Take each file from the shadowed directory. If it has any userspace
> relevant stuff, then:
>
> (b) Make kernel file #include the user file. So:
>
> [include/asm-i386/unistd.h]
> #include <user-i386/unistd.h>

We may also want a user-asm symlink pointing to user-$ARCH.
If <linux/foo.h> wants a definition from <user-$ARCH/foo.h> then it has
to include <asm/foo.h> which includes <user-$ARCH/foo.h>. If asm/foo.h
is empty other than the include, then it'd be nice to delete it and have
<linux/foo.h> include <user-asm/foo.h> directly.

> (c) Where a user header file requires something from another header file
> (such as a type), that file should include a suitable user header file
> directly:
>
> [include/user-i386/termio.h]
> #include <user/types.h>

It's occasionally been on my mind that the transition from linux -> asm
should be one way and that asm files should not include linux files.
I'm not sure this is necessarily a worthy goal, but it seems worth
mentioning.