Re: 2.6.9 page allocation failure

From: Bernd Schubert
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 18:31:27 EST

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 14:39, you wrote:
> This is a known problem with the Intel Gigabit NIC and possibly other
> NIC's dealing with TSO (tcp segmentation offload).
>
> Either try turning it off (with ethtool) or wait until 2.6.10 is
> released or try the latest -mm tree as Andrew Morton is working on
> fixing this issue.
>
> This problem began with 2.6.9 and has been reported on the list quite a
> few times now :)

We have seen those memory allocation failures already with 2.6.7, crashing our
server every morning on doing its cron daily cron jobs, so this is certainly
not only an issue since 2.6.9. Unfortunately that time nobody seemed to be
interested in my bugreports... Finally we had to switch back to 2.4.27,
though it is much slower as fileserver.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie