Re: [discuss] RFC: let x86_64 no longer define X86

From: Paul Menage
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 20:38:53 EST

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:51:17 +0100, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to send a patch after 2.6.10 that removes the following from
> arch/x86_64/Kconfig:
>
> config X86
> bool
> default y
>
> Additionally, I'll also check all current X86 uses to prevent breakages.

Or, you could define an X86_32 config symbol in i386. This seems a
little more backward compatible, and means that you can continue to
just test X86 for the rather large set of code that works fine on both
32-bit and 64-bit.

I guess it depends on whether you think there are more places in the
generic code that the two architectures share code, vs places that are
32-bit only.

Paul