Re: [patch] Fix GDT re-load on ACPI resume

From: Hiroshi Itoh
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 12:48:27 EST

Hi, Maciej-san

> What is the "gdt body must be addressable from real mode" requirement
>about? GDT is addressed by the CPU using a linear address as obtained
>from GDTR (bypassing segmentation, for obvious reasons) and is accessible
>regardless of its placement within the 32-bit linear address space in all
>CPU modes. As its a linear address it only undergoes translation at the
>page level, if enabled. The same applies to IDT.

I believe this patch is required because the original gdt is not addressable
via the low mapping page table (set by acpi_save_state_mem and used for wakeup
code), not the GDTR's linear address size reason.

cc:Shaohua and Len

wakeup_gdt2.patch should be slightestly modified to wakeup_gdt_2.6.10.patch
because %edx is conflict with msr's patch in 2.6.10-rc2 or later.

thanks
-Hiro