Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm1-V0.7.27-3

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 12:45:46 EST

* Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx <Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >ok, this new build still hangs at the same spot.
>
> Me too. The serial console output follows at the end. Will try a few
> boot alternatives and let you know if I can get this to run.
> >From what I can tell, it was attempting to test the NMI watchdog
> when it failed.

i've uploaded -5 with a fix in profile_tick() - does it boot fine for
you now?

Btw., a good way to catch such early bootup bugs is to activate
early-printk over the serial console:

earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,38400 console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0

and in this particular case the most effective serial logging method is:

earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,38400,keep console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0

the 'keep' tells the kernel to keep the early console a bit longer -
which in this particular timer-interrupt crash case produces a more
usable log. (the 'keep' parameter makes the serial console a bit less
useful as a regular console later on, so it should only be used for
crashes that the normal early console doesnt catch.)

Ingo