Re: is killing zombies possible w/o a reboot?

From: Russell Miller
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 20:44:23 EST

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 19:38, Doug McNaught wrote:
> Russell Miller <rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > This brings up another question I've had since reading the documentation
> > on later pentium-class chips:
> >
> > why are only rings 0 and 3 used in linux?
>
> Because the "traditional" Unix privilege model only has two levels,
> and Linux runs on many architectures, most of which have only two
> privilege levels (the 68000 called them "user" and "supervisor").
> Special-casing x86 is possible but probably wouldn't be worth it.

Wouldn't it help with device driver problems? Couldn't ring 1 be used to make
sure an errant driver doesn't drop the kernel, at least on x86 machines?

I remember the 68000 architecture. Quite nice (but I was 10 when I studied
it, so..).

--Russell

--

Russell Miller - rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Le Mars, IA
Duskglow Consulting - Helping companies just like you to succeed for ~ 10 yrs.