Re: nfs stale filehandle issues with 2.6.10-rc1 in-kernel server

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 19:02:14 EST

jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Nope. I'm not seeing that at all (besides, that is entirely unrelated to
ESTALE errors).

Mind telling us how to reproduce the problem?

Cheers,
Trond

--
Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx>

Connect 2.4.18 and 2.6.9 with NFS 3 enabled. I am seeing problems connecting and file size mismatches. I also see errors with zero
length files (host side) that get opened and populated with data
and the remote side is unable to read them -- keeps seeing them as zero length.

I can setup this back up tommorrow morning in the lab and provide you all sorts of good debug and trace info. The problem seems to happen if the local side from the FS has open handles and starts
writing blocks to a zero length file, and the remote side doesn't seem to see the data right away.

On typical FS read behavior, even if the file has a zero length, this
seems to be ignored and read requests continue until read returns
0 bytes read for file size. On the remote side, if the file size is not reflected, this is not the behavior, and probably should be. I can see someone truncating or changing a file size and NFS gets into a weird state.

Mismatches between configured v2/v3/v4 NFS configs between kernels
also have some issues. Please provide me with a sample /etc/exports
config you wish me to use exporting a directory you think would be helpful and I'll test and provide pcap traces of the traffic between
the nodes.

Jeff