Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Help re Frame Buffer/Console Problems

From: Mark Fortescue
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 13:10:40 EST

Hi all,

I have identified what is going on. My CG3 console uses the same font and
exactly overlaps prom console. [I have re-inserted the console margin code
for my CG3 driver]. The timing is such that the prom overwrites the
console text (using colour 255) a fraction later than the fbcon code.

The two problems to be solved are (apart from seting the red,green and
blue structures up for the cg series fb cards):

1) The prom write (from -p) needs to be disabled as soon as an alternative
console becomes active (either prom console, fbcon console or serial
console). This has probably been the major cause of hassel.

2) The restore pallet function (see cgsix.c in the 2.2.x or 2.4.x kernels)
needs to be re-introduced in some form and called when exiting fbcon so
that the prom does not end up as black on black. My prom uses fg=255,
bg=0. Does any one know if this is standard for all sparc boot proms.

I need to tidy up my code before I start work on the first of these two
problems. The second one should not catch me out as I am using colour
255 as my margin colour and it is set to "Dark Slate Grey" so I do not
have a black on black prom console.

If any one wants a linux 2.6.10 CG3 driver with software margins then let
me know and I will post an appropriate patch.

Regards
Mark Fortescue.