Re: XFS strangeness, xfs_db out of memory

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 06:56:01 EST

>I was testing a tiny script on top of xfs_fsr to show fragmentation and the
>resultss of defragmentation. As a result of fine tuning the output I ran the
>script repeatedly and suddenly got error from find (unknown error 999 if my
>memory serves me. It scrolled off the screen).
>
>The logs show this.
>Oct 24 08:06:50 xine kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
>Oct 24 08:07:00 xine kernel: hda: DMA timeout error
>Oct 24 08:07:00 xine kernel: hda: dma timeout error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>Oct 24 08:07:00 xine kernel:
>Oct 24 08:07:00 xine kernel: hda: DMA disabled
>Oct 24 08:07:00 xine kernel: ide0: reset: success

Hi,

That looks to me like your HD is going to die sometime in the future...

>How bad is that for XFS?... The error isn't permanent it seems.

Usually nothing. Expect <any fs> to struggle when such IO/DMA errors happen.

>After that xfs_db -r /dev-with-home -c "frag -v" gives me an out-of-memory
>error after a while, consistently.

XFS has probably picked up a malicious value due to the disk error, and as such
allocates that much. Probably more than you got.

>I ran the script repeatedly and suddenly got error from find (unknown error
>999 if my

If you reboot, and restart this repeated test, does it always error out at the
same time and spot (and with the same error 0x21/0x90), e.g. the 100'th
instance of xfs_db?

Please also try a badblocks -vv /dev/hdXY (or appropriate) repeatedly. If it
finds something there after a lot of runs (at least as much as you needed to
find out the fragmentation), there's definitely something wrong with the HD,
not XFS.

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft für Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 Göttingen, www.gwdg.de