Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -VP-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U1

From: Mark_H_Johnson
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 13:22:35 EST

>i have released the -U1 PREEMPT_REALTIME patch:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U1

Not sure if I can bring this up to multi user yet. Some initial testing
in single user mode indicates problems when I turn on networking. See
the attached messages from /var/log/messages to see the kinds of problems
I am having. The key ones appear after doing
./S10network start
as part of single stepping the init sequence. I stopped at this point
to make sure I had a good record of the messages.

I also managed to get the machine stuck with
/sbin/reboot
not sure why.

And yes, the .config is basically the same as in all previous tests.
(no changes since my first tests with -T4...)

A side question - if
CONFIG_PREEMPT_REALTIME=y
you say that IRQ's must be threaded, is this going to be "permanent" and
if so - why?

I would prefer to not use threaded IRQ's if possible due to lower CPU
overhead [see previous email describing results...] and some problems
I see with setting priorities on those IRQ's (relative to real time tasks).

--Mark