Re: [Ext-rt-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 2.6 Real Time Kernel

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 18:35:01 EST

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 00:57, Bill Huey wrote:
> But since this is in a commerical context we have to save
> face by at least putting our cards on the table and establishing
> a sort of role in this community.

Yeah, a pretty good way to establish a role by keeping your mouth shut
and let others do redundant work.

> That commericial development
> attitude the reason why I haven't been permitted to talk about
> this stuff openly, only sort of on the side in various
> preemption discussions.

Discuss this with your company.

> Yeah, for me a bit of freak out Saturday that is still
> kind of happening since this has been a personal project
> of mine for a long time. :) I interpreted it as a visibility
> move on your company's part, which I hate to say is a bit
> unnerving to know that another group was doing the same
> work. TimeSys's Scott Wood and friends are doing something
> like this as well. I'm only being fair by mentioning them. :)

There are other people around who worked on similar things openly.

> Well, uh, at least you're single kernel image folks like
> us and not flaming us/me yet for corrupting the sancity
> of Linux. Oh man, I feel a flame war coming. This is such
> touchy material.

The flame war might come, ...

> What's Monta Vista's attitude toward preemption development ?
> open or closed ? I know this is a charged question, but
> this has to be asked. :)
>
> This commerical thing is going to be weird. I wish I was
> an angry hippie instead of having a job at certain moments. :)
>
> But the bay area is pretty damn cool, so... that makes up
> for it. :)

... but not about realtime improvements.

It might be about: " hey we putting this up to play a role attitude of
comapnies".

tglx