Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 01:16:16 EST

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 07:00:19PM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:

> Just say "it's a bug, but one we have chosen not to fix for practical
> reasons." That would have kept me out of this discussion. Saying the
> behaviour is correct and that POSIX is wrong - that raises hairs -
> both the question kind, and the concern kind.

Why? POSIX have gotten *lots* of things wrong in the past.

For example, using 512 byte units for df and du (which we ignore, and
for which the POSIX will hopefully eventually catch up with sanity)
and fcntl unlocking semantics (which we adhere to despite the fact
that is broken beyond belief, and very likely will and will continue
to cause application bugs in the feature). What we do when POSIX does
something idiotic is something that has to be addressed on a
case-by-case basis.

- Ted