RE: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Hua Zhong
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 15:08:02 EST

> Hua Zhong wrote:
>
> > How hard is it to treat the next read to the fd as
> NON_BLOCKING, even if
> > it's not set?
>
> Userspace likely would not properly handle EAGAIN on a
> nonblocking socket.

But it's better than blocking the call, isn't it?

If the caller is using NON_BLOCKING already, no change in behavior,
otherwise it returns an error which the app may or may not handle, instead
of blocking it (which is usually fatal). Plus it hopefully gives Posix
compliance.

I can see there could be remote DoS attacks by just sending malformed UDP
packets.