Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc3-mm2-T0

From: Rui Nuno Capela
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 06:17:24 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i've released the -T0 VP patch:
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc3-mm2-T0
>
> Changes since -T0:
>
> - fix preempt-timing facility (reported by Florian Schmidt)
>
> - fix !4K stack compilation breakage (reported by Lee Revell)
>
> - revert experimental scheduler stuff from -mm. (Rui, does this fix
> your problems?)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to. Attached you may find some info I could
dump out, as a snapshot of what I'm seeing on my fresh
2.6.9-rc3-mm2-T0.0smp kernel.

Things to note:

- vp_info: the general state of VP tunnables.
- dmesg: some badness occurrences, worth to look and fix.
- config: the kernel .config file.
- top-100: top output, showing that ksoftirqd/1 is consuming 99.9% of one,
but only one, of the virtual CPUs, permanentely.

The overall system behavior is hardly better than what I've complained
before: if I can get to X, the mouse(s) don't work (either USB or PS/2);
calling /sbin/modprobe is asking for trouble; most of the times, it stalls
while boot-initing. Can't hardly make anything with it :(

Sorry.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@xxxxxxxxx