kernel BUG at buffer.c:603

From: Axel Waggershauser
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 06:13:12 EST

Hi,

I have a new machine with an Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 01) SATA raid
controller (aacraid module) running a

Linux version 2.4.27-1-686-smp (joshk@trollwife) (gcc version 3.3.4
(Debian 1:3.3.4-9)) #1 SMP Fri Sep 3 06:34:36 UTC 2004

kernel. It keeps crashing (oops) after several hours of running bonnie.
Most of the time I get a "kernel BUG at buffer.c:603" wich looks like
this

if (bh->b_prev_free || bh->b_next_free) BUG();

in function

static void __insert_into_lru_list(struct buffer_head * bh, int
blist)

There has been an other oops as well: "unable to handle kernel paging
request at virtual address 619139d0". This combined with several hints
on the net suggests that faulty hardware might be the cause. I checked
the 1G ram with memtest86+ - no problem...

Google revealed several other buffer.c:xxx bugs but none in line 603 so
I thouhgt, it might be worth to ask.

Thanks, for any help (if someone happens to know _the_ ultimate mem- or
harddisk-test, I'd be happy to stress this machine as long as it has
to...)

regards,
Axel