lazy umount not working (udev & tmpfs on /dev)

From: Meelis Roos
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 05:18:29 EST

Hi, I'm running 2.6.9-rc3+BK (as of yesterday, 20041004) on a couple of
x86 Debian unstable machines with udev and I'm having problems.

In 2.6.3-rc2 all was OK. Don't know exactly about plain -rc3.

In current BK, lazy umount is not working sometimes. udev start script
mounts tmpfs on /dev and stop script does umount -l /dev. This doesn't
return failure but nothing happens, /dev remain mounted and I can't
start udev again. Doing umount -l /dev by hand again finally umounts it
and udev can be started again. Plain umount /dev of course doesn't work
because /dev is busy.

This behaviour is 100% reproducible.

Since 2.6.9-rc2 was OK, I guess this is a bug in current BK?

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@xxxxxxxx)