Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone.

From: Tigran Aivazian
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 12:25:52 EST

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> *After that* you get a `welcome email' containing the written offer.
> Sorry, but I have the binaries once I walk out the shop. Where's my
> written offer? What do I do if I bought one and got it shipped to
> France and so it won't `phone home'?

Greetings Ralph,

I think that the "research" you have been doing was a clear waste of time
of people at Amstrad who were, as it turns out, not even breaking any
laws.

Alan Cox has cleared up everything, and so your best option, I think, is
to kindly apologize to Amstrad for wasting their time and not continue
with your irritating "what if this" and "what if that"s, unless you are a
lawyer and therefore delight in the waste of time of this sort (or even
paid to do that).

Having said that, I also saved your first email in the "useful" folder ---
as a classical example of what to expect from someone with little clue but
much "zeal" for the enforcement of GPL putting his nose in every hole he
can find :)

Kind regards
Tigran