Re: OS Virtualization

From: Chris Wright
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 11:17:54 EST

* Arvind Kalyan (arvy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to load and run two linux kernels simultaneously; trying to
> demonstrate virtualization as a first step.

A first step towards what?

> Anyone have pointers to where I can start? I looked into plex, bochs,
> vmware, usermode linux.. they only simulate an architecture upon which
> another kernel runs.

These are hosted (well, vmware has non-hosted products too). But as a
first step, this could be sufficient.

> My intentions are to give control to both the kernels to directly control
> the hardware and do "context switch" between those two based on
> time-slice.

Even with a non-hosted virtual machine, you'll need a hypervisor. Take
a look at Xen (if you're using x86). Or get some time on an S/390 ;-))

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/

thanks,
-chris
--