From: Helge Hafting
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 07:35:52 EST

Paul Jackson wrote:

Helge wrote:

So an old "tar" won't get this right as it will assume that an object
is either file or directory.

There are many backup apps, not just one. I've written a few myself,
none of which will ever be worthy of notice. The sourceforge
Topic.System.Archiving.Backup lists 335 projects at present.

I find the idea that most backup tools and scripts will silently
stop working correctly to be pretty scary.

They won't stop working, they will merely not support
the new features. That is only a problem if
you actually use those features. If all you have
is plain files and plain directories - no problem. Not
if files-as-directories are implemented right.

Helge Hafting