From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 03:51:06 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:

If your backup program dives into the file despite stat()
saying it's a file and you restore your backup, how are the
"file is a file" semantics preserved ?

Obviously this is something that needs to be sorted out at
the VFS layer.

It needs to be sorted out, whether it is sorted out at the VFS layer is unimportant.

A filesystem specific backup and restore
program isn't desirable, if only because then there'd be
no way for Hans's users to switch to reiser5 in 2010 ;)

It might be that we need a filenameA/metas/backup method for all of our file plugins, which if cat'd gives a set of instructions which if executed are adequate for restoring filenameA.

Hans