Re: new tool: blktool

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 12:57:24 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
But there'll need to be some overlap between the old and new,
and currently the libata driver has no way for smartmontools
or hdparm to communicate and control drive features like
the cache/readahead settings, and the various SMART capabilities.

Supporting the ATA Pass-through CDB in libata will enable support for all of those things. I think we all agree that there needs to be _some_ way of letting userspace control these attributes via direct ATA command submission.

As an aside, although libata _will_ support some sort of user ATA command execution method, some of these attributes are (or will be soon) available through standard SCSI methods.

For example, MODE SENSE/MODE SELECT on the caching mode page allows one to toggle read-ahead and writeback caching.

blktool supports both methods :)

Jeff