Re: Merge I2O patches from -mm

From: Markus Lidel
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 18:43:52 EST

Hi...

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 01:08:33AM +0200, Markus Lidel wrote:
Okay, patch i2o_scsi-cleanup.patch adds a notification facility to the i2o_driver, which notify if a controller is added or removed. The i2o_controller structure has now the ability to store per-driver data and the SCSI-OSM now takes advantage of this. So all ugly parts should be removed now :-)
If you have further things which should be changed, please let me know...
Looks much better now, thanks. But instead of the notify call please

Thanks!

add a controller_add and add controller_remove method, taking a typesafe
i2o_controller * instead of the multiplexer.

I had this before, but i want the notification also for I2O devices, because the driver model won't call probe functions for devices, which are already occupied by a other driver. This is not the best solution, if you have more then one drivers which could handle a device. This is the case in e.g. i2o_proc, which only want to display information, and is not a "real driver". So finally there will be controller_add, controller_remove, device_add, device_remove... and i thought it would be more generic, and i also don't have to add a function each time a new notification is needed :-)

Also i tried to implement the notification like the one already in the kernel, so i could exchange my notification facility with the already existing one (include/linux/notifier.h)...

Best regards,

Markus Lidel
Markus Lidel (Senior IT Consultant)

Shadow Connect GmbH