Re: sched_setaffinity() and load balancing

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 07:53:26 EST

Simon Derr wrote:
Hello,

This is probably a known issue, or even maybe the expected behaviour, but
it seems that using sched_setaffinity() can severely disturb load
balancing on recent kernels. My tests are with 2.6.8-rc3 but I suppose
other kernel versions behave the same way.

Yep, it shouldn't be anything new.

You could justify the problem by saying that by using setaffinity, the
user has asserted that they know best and so it is OK for the balancer
to crap itself.

Ideally it would be handled nicely, but not a lot of people care at the
moment.