Re: [RFC]Kexec based crash dumping

From: Hariprasad Nellitheertha
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 07:52:09 EST

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:44:36PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Hariprasad Nellitheertha <hari@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The patches that follow contain the initial implementation for kexec based
> > crash dumping that we are working on.
>
> It seems to be coming together nicely.
>
> Where do we stand with support for other architectures? Do you expect that
> each architecture will involve a lot of work?

I don't think so. The main architecture dependent components are register
snapshotting and silencing of other cpus. These are not new problems to
solve as other projects such as LKCD, KDB have already done this for
most archs.

> And how much of the i386 implementation do you expect x86_64 can
> reuse?

We should be able to re-use most of the code. The x86_64 port should be
ready pretty quickly once kexec itself is available.

Regards, Hari
--
Hariprasad Nellitheertha
Linux Technology Center