Re: LSI 53c1030 (Fusion MPT) performance with O_SYNC

From: Jan Oravec
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 06:13:46 EST

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:04:53PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 11:56, Jan Oravec wrote:
>
> > I've noticed poor performance with MySQL/InnoDB when compared to another
> > S2880-based box with IDE disks.
>
> your ide disk probably has write back caching enabled while your
> mptfusion doesn't..... if you value data integrity over performance the
> mptfusion has a saner default ;)

It was enabled:

# sginfo -c /dev/sda
Caching mode page (0x8)
-----------------------
Initiator Control 0
ABPF 0
CAP 0
DISC 1
SIZE 0
Write Cache Enabled 1
MF 0
Read Cache Disabled 0
Demand Read Retention Priority 0
Demand Write Retention Priority 0
Disable Pre-fetch Transfer Length 65535
Minimum Pre-fetch 0
Maximum Pre-fetch 0
Maximum Pre-fetch Ceiling 65535
FSW 1
LBCSS 0
DRA 0
Number of Cache Segments 8
Cache Segment size 0
Non-Cache Segment size 0

When I've disabled it on both mptfusion and IDE, it took 40s on mpt and 83s
on IDE.

It seems like write-cache is not as effective on mptfusion as it is on IDE?

I am considering plugging there a ZCR with battery, so write-cache has a
sense for me.

Jan