Inclusion of UML in 2.6.8

From: BlaisorBlade
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 11:54:03 EST

Andrew, what are the requisite for stable inclusion of the UML update inside
2.6-mm (or directly 2.6.8)? Currently (splitting out a little piece, which
should not be included) we have almost all the stuff inside arch/um and
include/asm-um, the addition of <linux/ghash.h> and of two filesystems for
UML use only, and this little hunk (plus 2 uses of it inside
mm/page_alloc.c).

+#ifndef HAVE_ARCH_FREE_PAGE
+static inline void arch_free_page(struct page *page, int order) { }
+#endif

Could it go in as-is? I'm especially worried about having it included soon in
2.6.8, since last time it entered -mm and stayed there just for one release.

The patch correctly applies to 2.6.7 and works; the current code, instead,
does not even compile at all, so there is no reason for not applying it
(unless you want to remove UML support / but since you never said this, we
need this patch applied). However, if you don't want some parts of the code,
just tell me; I'm waiting for this before preparing the UML patch to send you

Also, I have some patches managed with your patch-scripts, which I'll send you
after you include the UML patch.

About the STATE of the code:

Of the two filesystems, one (hostfs) now should work perfectly with 2.6 (I've
just fixed one porting bug to 2.6, related to the force_delete() ->
.drop_inode change documented in Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt); the
other maybe has some problems, but I can remove it from the patch (it also
will probably be replaced soon by a more generic one, i.e. externfs).

Bye!
--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade
Linux registered user n. 292729