Re: Question on using MSI in PCI driver

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 22:53:18 EST

Roland Dreier wrote:
I'm looking at implementing MSI/MSI-X support in a PCI device driver
I'm working on. However, I've run into an issue with the MSI API that
I would like some clarification on.

When I call pci_enable_msi, since my device is MSI-X capable, the
kernel calls msix_capability_init, which works out the memory region
where vectors should be written and then calls request_region. (In
fact it calls

Not answering your question directly, but...

You are breaking new ground by adding MSI support to a driver. I thank you for this -- alot -- but you should realize there will probably be a little bit of PCI core work necessary in order to get things the way you want them.

Feel free to propose changes to the PCI core to accomodate your MSI driver.

Jeff