Re: Resume enhancement: restore pci config space

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 08:48:19 EST

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 08:40:31PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > One can rightfully argue that the driver resume method should do this, and
> > yes that is right. So the patch only does it for devices that don't have a
> > resume method. Like the main PCI bridge on my testbox of which the bios so
> > nicely forgets to restore the bus master bit during resume.. With this patch
> > my testbox resumes just fine while it, well, wasn't all too happy as you can
> > imagine without a busmaster pci bridge.
> > +/*
> > + * Default resume method for devices that have no driver provided resume,
> > + * or not even a driver at all.
> > + */
> > +static void pci_default_resume(struct pci_dev *pci_dev)
> > +{
>
> Perhaps this should not be static so that drivers don't
> need to duplicate this?

I wonder if that is useful, can you see cases where it would be?
I mean, all it does is provide a default handler for places that don't have
one. All this is info drivers already have, if a driver chooses to implement
it's resume handler I think they can do better than this (and thus don't
need this helper). But... if you can come up with a reasonable use I don't
oppose it. I do like to see a sane user first though before adding this to
the driver API...