Re: 2.6.7-rc1 breaks forcedeth

From: Lee Howard
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 18:00:13 EST

On 2004.05.30 10:20 Jeff Garzik wrote:
Lee Howard wrote:
I use the forcedeth driver for my nVidia ethernet successfully with kernel 2.6.6. I recently tested 2.6.7-rc1, and when using it the ethernet does not work, and I see this in dmesg:

eth1: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01043:80a7 bound to 0000:00:04.0
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out

I can ping localhost and the device's IP number, but I cannot ping other systems' IP numbers.

Well, there are zero changes to the driver itself, so I would guess ACPI perhaps...

Try booting with 'acpi=off' or 'noapic' or 'pci=noacpi' or similar...

I didn't have ACPI built-in to the kernel. So, I added it, and then the network started working again.

So, in 2.6.6 I didn't need ACPI to have network access, but with 2.6.7 I do. Is this a bug or a feature?

Lee.