Re: Recommended compiler version

From: John Bradford
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 08:32:01 EST

Quote from Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
> [...]
>
> I forgot to mention: 2.95.3 does not compile correctly the 2.6.6 r8169
> driver.
>
> The archive does not make clear what should be used. The whole 2.95.[234]
> family seems flaky. :o/

In my opinion, code that doesn't compile with 2.95.3 is broken - 2.95.3 is
still the recommended compiler, and although various developers have been
using 3.x.x versions for a long time, I haven't been aware of any efforts
to test a specific 3.x.x version of GCC over a wide range of kernels.

Basically, 2.95.3 is something of a point of reference, so it only makes
sense to throw it out once we have a new point of reference.

John.