Re: suspend2 problems on SMP machine, incorrect tainting

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 02:48:40 EST

Hi.

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

I tried suspend2 2.0.0.81 on Toshiba HT machine, and it did not
work :-(. First test was with "noapic nosmp", last messages are

Hmm. I haven't tried it with noapic or nosmp options before. It ought to work; I'll see if I can reproduce this issue.

Tainted: S is due to suspend2, right? It abuses flag that origally means
"invalid SMP configuration". You might want to fix that.

Yes. I've been meaning to change that; must get around to it.

Tried without noapic nosmp... display got "interesting" at one point,

Yes. The sequence of operations to force a redraw of the screen works okay under 2.4 but needs looking at under 2.6.

but hey, it worked! I have "sleeping function called rom invalid
context at arch/i386/mm/highmem.c:5" called from kmap, copy_pageset1.

Yes. It needs to be atomic (it's the atomic copy) and pages might well be HighMem so I guess the answer is to suppress the message rather than changing something in suspend.

Nigel
--
Nigel & Michelle Cunningham
C/- Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen

After homosexuality, they'll be arguing paedophilia is normal.