Re: 2.6.x kernel sluggish behavior

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 09:17:38 EST

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 04:29:58PM +0300, Lenar L?hmus wrote:
> Overall I really like the performance and smoothness of 2.6.x kernels,
> but there has been always one problematic situation.
> It's debian here with X/KDE running. The problem manifests itself
> when one launches acroread-plugin in Mozilla or Mozilla-based browser.
> Whatever is the reason, but when acroread is launched as browser
> plugin, it makes system quite sluggish. X process starts to consume
> about 70% of cpu time continuosly.
> That would not be a problem usually, but in this case system really
> feels like hanging and stopping. Mouse cursor on screen stops and
> jumps and does other neat tricks.
> Drawing of pages in acroread is extremely slow. Its very very bad when
> loaded document is some kind of marketing brochure full of
> pictures/backgrounds etc... Nothing of this when acroread is being
> run as standalone app.

What kernel version is this? Could you try with 2.6.6-mm4 if it was
less recent than that?

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 04:29:58PM +0300, Lenar L?hmus wrote:
> Even more. This system has several terminals connected to it, and all of
> them show same sluggish behavior same time. So it's not like X-server
> process running on system is too busy to interact with mouse or draw
> on screen.
> This behavior stops when the window with acroread is closed (or back
> button pressed when one can direct mouse cursor to that button which
> as you can believe is very hard in this case).
> I think it's definetely a scheduler problem (although caused by
> application bug).
> You propably need more information. Just ask. I'm happy to help to get
> this annoying problem disappear.

Some instrumentation is likely in order. 2.6.6-mm4 has schedstats,
which you should log to get us enough information to do something about
this performance problem. Logs of vmstat, top, and snapshots of kernel
profiles, /proc/vmstat, and /proc/meminfo may also help.

-- wli