2.6.x kernel sluggish behavior

From: Lenar Lõhmus
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 08:39:11 EST

Hi.

Overall I really like the performance and smoothness of 2.6.x kernels,
but there has been always one problematic situation.

It's debian here with X/KDE running. The problem manifests itself
when one launches acroread-plugin in Mozilla or Mozilla-based browser. Whatever
is the reason, but when acroread is launched as browser plugin, it makes
system quite sluggish. X process starts to consume about 70% of cpu time continuosly.

That would not be a problem usually, but in this case system really feels like hanging
and stopping. Mouse cursor on screen stops and jumps and does other neat tricks.
Drawing of pages in acroread is extremely slow. Its very very bad when loaded document is some kind
of marketing brochure full of pictures/backgrounds etc... Nothing of this when acroread is being run as
standalone app.

Even more. This system has several terminals connected to it, and all of them show
same sluggish behavior same time. So it's not like X-server process running on system
is too busy to interact with mouse or draw on screen.

This behavior stops when the window with acroread is closed (or back button pressed when one
can direct mouse cursor to that button which as you can believe is very hard in this case).

I think it's definetely a scheduler problem (although caused by application bug).

You propably need more information. Just ask. I'm happy to help to get this annoying
problem disappear.

Lenar