Re: [RFC] Kernel origins and maintainers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 12:34:56 EST

On Tue, 25 May 2004, pvant67@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm busy putting together a list of all the contributors and maintainers
> that I can find, using the CREDITS and MAINTAINERS files. I have not
> seen this done in one place before; is it redundant effort?

I don't think I've seen it before.

For the last two years, you can find a lot of email addresses in BK, and
you can clean them up with the name translations found in the "shortlog"
script (part of "BK-tools" at http://bktools.bkbits.net/bktools).

> How does this overlap with the new Developer's Certificate of Origin? I
> have the distinct impression that these projects should be working
> closer together.

Well, right now you won't get any real information from the sign-off
lines, since only a few people have started using it (7 people at the time
of this writing ;), so you're better off just doing statistics on the
output of "bk changes -a" or something.

Linus